Welcome to the Innoventure Challenge!
Think like an entrepreneur and design a simple prototype out of an approved list of materials – all in a two-week timeframe that challenges you to put your team’s ideas to the test quickly and create an innovative product.
Each round will have its own theme – and you won’t find out the theme until registration opens for each round. The surprise is all part of the challenge!
Our winning team from each round will be invited to the final Innoventure Challenge at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces for a special one-day product design challenge that builds on what you’ve learned in the preliminary rounds.
The first-place team will receive a high-tech prize and $350 scholarship to NMSU.
2018-19 Innoventure Challenge Timeline
Round 1: Oct. 15 to Oct. 29, 2018
Round 2: Nov. 12 toDec. 3, 2018
Round 3: Jan. 21 to Feb. 4, 2019
Final competition: April 5, 2019
How to participate
- With support from a teacher, parent or other adult serving as your advisor, form a team of 2-5 high school students. We’ll provide a PDF toolkit with milestones to help you think through your product’s design and your business plan. We’ll also provide a list of the materials you can use to build your prototype.
- Start by registering your team and your advisor by clicking on the links on this page. You’ll receive a password to access the toolkit for the next Innoventure Challenge round.
- To compete in each round, participating teams will submit a link to a video that demonstrates their prototype, explains the value added by the product, identifies their target market and a price for the product, describes distribution modes for product, and outlines how the product will be promoted. Additionally, participants will design a logo for their product/company.
Rules to know
- Videos longer than 5 minutes in length will not be accepted.
- Each video will be scored based on a rubric.
- A winner will be determined for each round, and will advance to the final challenge day.
- Teams that have not already won a round can participate again in a subsequent round. If a team wins a round and advances, they are not eligible to compete in a later round.
- The winner of each round will advance to the final Innoventure Challenge competition at NMSU, in which they will receive the theme and instructions that morning, work in teams with a mentor to come up with a simple business idea and prototype, and then present their pitch to judges.
- There’s no entry fee for teams to participate, and Arrowhead Center will help support travel costs for teams that are selected as finalists.